Students learn and apply fundamentals of various software applications (i.e. Photoshop), design principles, image editing, drawing and graphic collages. In addition to, advertising and marketing graphic projects. Coordinating technical skills with organization, management, communication, ethics and teamwork.
Students will be given challenging real world projects and assignments typical of the graphic design industry.
High quality work is expected and students will be given opportunities to redo work until it meets standards specified during instruction. Classroom activities will include reading, research, projects, and problem solving. Students will often work individually, but will be expected to complete certain discussions (i.e. Critics & Graphics Design) as teams. Assessment methods will include art assignments; and conceptual projects.
1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the elements of graphic design.
2. Read, understand and communicate in the language of graphic design.
3. Use technology to its fullest potential (i.e. Photoshop, InPaint, etc).
4. Students will learn to demonstrate positive work behavior.
5. Students will learn to solve problems using critical thinking.
6. Students will learn how to interpret clients demands and translate them into design guidelines.
THEORY: (NO LAPTOP NEEDED)
1. INTRO TO GRAPHIC DESIGN : What is graphic design, its fundamentals and all the different career opportunities it provides.
2. DESIGN ELEMENTS: Design elements include colors, shapes, typography and art related elements.
3. CONCEPT DESIGN PROCESS: Developing and creating a design concept and clients design proposals.
4. FINAL DESIGN AND POLISHING: Final stage of design generating and developing, re-edits, and polishing.
PRACTICE: (LAPTOP NEEDED)
5. CLIENTS DESIGN PROPOSAL: How to create a design proposal to clients based on their needs, budget and requirements
6. ADVERTISING AND SOCIAL MEDIA DESIGN: How to create design to different platforms’ guidelines.
7. PORTFOLIO DESIGN: How to create your own professional portfolio to present to clients.
8. COMPANY BRANDING DESIGN: Designing company profiles and branding complying with both the clients’ requirements and copyright laws.